Frequent Questions

What do I need to submit to EPA if I have an oil discharge?

The owner/operator must provide the following:

• Name and location of the facility
• Owner/operator name
• Maximum storage/handling capacity of the facility and normal daily throughput
• Corrective actions and countermeasures taken, including descriptions of equipment repairs and replacements
• Adequate description of the facility, including maps, flow diagrams, and topographical maps, as necessary
• Cause of the discharge to navigable waters, including a failure analysis
• Failure analysis of the system where the discharge occurred
• Additional preventive measures taken or planned to take to minimize discharge reoccurrence
• Other information the RA may reasonably require

An owner/operator must also send a copy of this information to the agency or agencies in charge of oil pollution control activities in the state in which the facility is located.

Have more questions? Submit a request